Missed Child Support Payments Impact License and Passport Eligibility

Pleasanton CA child supportIn CA, it’s critical for all involved parties to ensure that they stick to all court orders, which includes following any defined parenting/custody plan as well as ensuring that all alimony and child support payments are accounted for in a timely manner. 

Not surprisingly, the CA family law courts have robust systems in place to address violations of these specific terms. When it comes to missed or late child support payments, the tools at their disposal are varied and can include consequences such as fines, jail time, seizure of tax refunds or other assets, and even ineligibility for having a driver’s license or passport. 

Today, we’re looking at how child support enforcement can specifically impact your ability to get or keep a license or a passport.

Unpaid Child Support Can Get Your License Suspended in CA

If the family law courts opt to enforce child support via license suspension, they’ll forward this request to the DMV. They’ll then formally send out a letter to the accused party, which gives them 150 days to respond before the license is formally suspended. This can be mitigated if the person pays the dues amount in time. 


However, if the family law courts have to repeat this process and issue another license suspension warning, this time is cut down from 150 days to 30 days. 

How Late or Missed Child Support Payments Impact Passport Eligibility 

Similarly, missed or late child support payments can cause someone to become ineligible to have a passport issued by the DMV. The process is similar to that of a suspended license, and the suspension applies whether a person is looking to have a passport issued for the first time, or is renewing an existing passport. 

Dealing with Child Support Payment Issues or Concerns in CA?

As you can see, the consequences of missed or late child support payments can cover a wide range of areas in your life. Whether looking at a suspended license, hefty fines, or even potential jail time, these penalties are often harsh for a reason – it’s critical that a child is always provided with everything they need to maintain their standard of living. 

If the current child support payment structure is not working for you, it’s possible to request a modification via a court order. For this, you’ll want to consult with a skilled lawyer who can help maximize your chances at having the request reviewed and approved. 

If you want to learn more about this, or if you’re concerned about expected missed or late child support payments, your best bet is to reach out to a qualified family law attorney. At the White Oak Law, we have a roster of established and distinguished attorneys who have been working with CA family law for decades. Reach our offices at 925-271-0999 to learn more about how our team can help. 

Call us today to schedule an initial consultation with a seasoned CA divorce and family law attorney today!